The oldest part of the building, a stone and flint house, was probably begun in the early 16th century.
The earliest section of the building is the stone-built L-shaped hall and north wing, and was possibly one and a half storeys in height. It was increased to two storeys and an attic, possibly in the early 17th century. The south wing is timber-framed and was added in the early 17th century. In the mid 18th century the courtyard between the two wings was in-filled, the ground floor today occupied by the museum shop. A brick-built single storey service/kitchen range was added in the early 18th century.
The property held some status in the late medieval period. From about 1687 it was occupied by John Bowdidge, a 'gentleman'. For part of the 18th century the building was divided into four units, indicating a lowering in status of the property. The King family reunited the house in the mid 18th century.
The name of the building is first recorded on an Ordnance Survey map of 1885. However, there is no documentary evidence to suggest that it was the house of one of the canons of the Minster Church.
From the 19th century the ground floor provided retail space for a grocer, ironmonger and stationer.