The museum is currently hosting an exhibition celebrating 100 years of the Cub Scouts, which officially began on 16 December 1916.
Robert Baden-Powell published 'Scouting for Boys' in 1908 and soon there were calls from younger children who wanted to get involved. A scheme for Wolf Cubs was trialled six years later and during the first world war they supported local communities, learning First Aid, cooking and knitting.
In October 1916 the Wolf Cubs were formally accepted into the Boy Scout Association. The Wolf Cub Handbook was published and on 16 December they were launched with the Wolf Cubs' Display in London.
The exhibition has been developed by Raymond Beek in memory of his father, Brian Beek B.E.M. Brian’s Scouting career included working with 1st West Moors Scouts as Group Scout Leader and he was Chairman of the Brownsea Island Scout Fellowship. In 2008 Brian was awarded the Silver Wolf, the highest award in Scouting.
The Scouting memorabilia on display is on loan from Brian's collection and includes Cub Scout uniform, annuals, badges and a model of the Grand Howl.
In 2016 the museum is open daily (except Sundays) until 23 December, 10.00 to 4.00, and from 12-23 December admission is free.
For further information please contact the museum.
The Priest's House Museum & Garden | 23-27 High Street, Wimborne Minster, Dorset BH21 1HR Tel: 01202 882533 | Email:email@example.com
The Priest's House Museum Trust - A Company incorporated in England & Wales with limited liability - Registered No. 3488337 Registered Office: 23-27 High Street, Wimborne Minster, Dorset BH21 1HR
Registered as a Charity under the Charities Act 1960 - Registered Charity No. 1068540 | Disclaimer